dimanche 22 novembre 2020

The Musical Stones of ... Michael

In The Musical Stones, the people who follow the Collective's work share their musical tastes, memories and luggage.

Today : Michael from Germany

 

What is your first musical memory?
 
As a kid I used to listen to audio dramas particularly Die drei ??? (The Three Investigators). The jazzy instrumental soundtrack - my first musical memory - was created by the great multi-instrumentalist Carsten Bohn. The original themes can be found on youtube (I highly recommend checking them out) but haven't been released officially thanks to a lawsuit.
 
The first album you bought?
 
Michael Jackson's Bad. I bought the tape in Spain during the holidays as a kid. As I had no tape recorder there I couldn't wait to come home to be able to listen to the tape. Back at home I immediately ran over to my best friend's home to listen to the album together just to find out that he also bought the very same tape.
 

The essential albums for you?

Black Sabbath: Master of Reality / Blur: Blur / David Bowie: Low / Joy Division: Substance / Love: Forever Changes / Morrissey: Viva Hate / Radiohead: OK Computer / Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dreams / The Smiths: The World Won't Listen / The Zombies: Odyssey and Oracle ...just to name a few!
 



If you had to choose only one album?
 
I don't know if this is cheating but I'd choose The Beatles "1967 - 1970" (a.k.a. The Blue Album)... Although you heard it a thousand times there is still enough to discover... and it brings a lot of (bitter-)sweet memories along.
 
 
The album that seems terribly underrated to you?

Dog Man Star by Suede... Critics preferred their self-titled debut but I (being a confused teenager) loved Dog Man Star's pathos.
 
 
 
Your favorite album artwork?

OK Computer, for sure. Although most of Radiohead's artwork is fabulous.
 

A film whose soundtrack stroke you?

The Falcon and The Snowman
... I remember singing "This is not America" by David Bowie & Pat Metheny in elementary school when I was a small boy. Many of the instrumental tracks are even greater.

 

A single track of a soundtrack that struck me is "Homecoming" by Thomas Newman on the Brothers soundtrack.


Your current discoveries?

Deafheaven... A great mixture of Black Metal and Shoegaze.
 
 
 
Your favorite album of the Collective?
 
Super difficult to say... But I'd choose The Lonely Plains Sessions #04 by Caleb R.K. Williams.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire